I'm 28 weeks pregnant today, so I start week 29 tomorrow! 8 weeks until I'm full term, 11 weeks until my due date.
This morning I did my glucose testing to check for gestational diabetes. I did not have GD with my last pregnancy and I'm certainly hoping I don't have it this time! My weight gain was a little over 2 pounds for the month, and my blood pressure was low. I'm on track to keep my pregnancy weight gain under 25 pounds, which is what I've been shooting for.
I haven't many contractions this month, just 2 or 3 all month. I told my doctor I've cleared my calendar for the rest of the pregnancy, I'm not traveling, I'm not hosting anything, and I've been taking several breaks a day at work per her recommendations. She was SO encouraging about these changes and said she's glad I'm taking good care of myself. My doctor said this is the best I've looked in several months.
I'm measuring one week ahead, last appointment I was measuring 1-2 weeks ahead. This is normal for me and the doctor said this is fine.
My only questions for this appointment was about after delivery, if she planned to give me Lasiks to help me get rid of my swelling. When I was re-admitted to the hospital one week postpartum with Betsy my diagnosis was severe postpartum pre-eclampsia. Pre-eclampsia changes the body's physiology and causes your body to retain water. Most women retain water for 6 weeks after giving birth but their body can get rid of the fluid. My body didn't react this way. The swelling caused pulmonary edema, and congestive heart failure. This means my body cavities filled with fluid and my heart enlarged trying to get rid of the fluid. Something else she told me is that taking Pitocin while I was in labor contributed to the fluid retention. I was given Pitocin to speed my contractions since my water broke when I started labor. The hospital wants you to deliver within 18 hours of your water breaking. I never knew this about Pitocin, and it is really commonly administred.
I knew all of this, but the point my doctor wanted to make is it's not the swelling that made me sick, it several contributing factors. For this reason she couldn't answer my question on how we'll treat my swelling as it will matter what kind of shape I'm in overall! I admitted that I assume it's a given that I'll have pre-eclampsia and she agrees it's very likely. Before we left she assured me that she'll monitor me very closely this last trimester, I might spend an extra day or two in the hospital, and that I'll likely have some extra postpartum appointments to make sure my blood pressure doesn't become an issue while I'm recovering.
I'm so glad to have good communication with my doctor, and to feel that she cares and knows my case history so thoroughly.
2 comments:
YAY for 28 weeks!
That's great Shan! Seems like you have an awesome dr.
I also had the GD test friday...Failed and have to do the 3 hour tomorrow. Good Luck to you!
I didn't have it with lily either so I'm hoping it was just a fluke.
Oh and I'm also anemic. It was a whole barrel of good news. LOL
Post a Comment