Monday, May 3, 2010

Flying the friendly skies.

I've blogged a lot about what it's like traveling with Betsy. I feel like we've mastered the art of packing, getting through security, bringing enough food and bottles, and generally not being a nuisance on the plane. However our trip home from Atlanta last night was like a description our of a book of some harried mother and her outrageous child.

Our flight was delayed an hour. Betsy was getting fussy and squirmy in the airport (it was her bedtime!). She threw food around, she threw her book around, she yelled at me. She tried to run away from me at one point. When I stopped her from running away she slapped my face and I told her ‘no,’ which created a melt down, heart breaking crying response from the little angel. I changed her diaper at the last minute before getting on the plane. As we’re walking on the plane she pooed (getting even for telling her no?). We’re in the last row, so I walked past the other 80 passengers with an adorable, but stinky baby. I changed her diaper in the plane bathroom with her standing up so they could dispose of it before we left the gate (yes!). The plane was supposed to be full so I resigned myself to struggling with the fussy baby with a stranger next to me. There were two open seats on the plane and they offered them to me, so Bets and I got extra space (yes!) Before departing Betsy vomited all over herself. The good thing was if I was holding her she would have thrown up on me. I got her cleaned up. I got told I HAD to hold her on my lap during departure (they were very nice though). Betsy was trying to jump off me to the baby behind us who teased her with his bottle. She was a screeching mess and MAD that I had to hold her in my arms until the plane was in the air. She passed out the second the plane took off and slept the whole trip. The second half of the trip the only way she would sleep was in what I like to call 'The Starfish Position'. Arms and head thrown back into the aisle, legs splayed open into the seat next to me. The surrounding passengers found Betsy to be hysterical, which was a relief as if she kept acting as she was in the airport and before take off I think mutiny would have occurred and they would have tossed us out from 10,000 feet in the air (perhaps without a parachute). I arrived in Killeen (thankfully just an hour late) gave Ben the stroller and went to get my bag, and enjoyed every second of the 10 minutes I had to wait for my bag without Betsy.

The kiddo slept in the car, we changed her and she went right to bed at home. I stayed awake long enough to brush my teeth and change into PJs before I passed out snuggling that little 'Nauzer who missed me all weekend.

Stay tuned for a post tomorrow with tons of pictures from our AWESOME trip to Atlanta, and more details about all the fun we had :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

omg Shannon, I would have had a meltdown if that had happened. Glad you got your 10mins of quiet (I volunteer to go get gas, pick up food, whatever and take the longest way possible to get a break)