I haven't bought the first thing for this new baby, but I'd like to start making a mental plan of what I need. I would love the input from blog readers who have a second child (or just have thought about this at all).
I need to clean out a room so we can set up the crib.
I need a crib mattress, as Betsy is still using hers in the toddler bed.
I'd like a double stroller for our many trips to mall, Target, etc. I'm thinking about a traditional double stroller versus the sit and stand kind. Any opinions?
I'm thinking about getting a new sling to carry this baby as I'll need my hands free. Something like the Moby wrap. Any input on what type is the best?
I need new bottles, Betsy's bottles are in rough shape after 18 months of use. Luckily we've discovered how much she likes the super-cheap Wal-mart bottles, and we'll be starting with a small pack of THOSE for the next baby to see what he or she likes.
Diapers (which I have started buying with coupons).
Formula (which we can't buy until the little one arrives).
(maybe) Clothes, if we find out this baby is a boy, and a non pink blanket or two.
Baby Tylenol, Milicon, diaper cream.
I think the arrival of baby 2.0 will be different than Betsy. I'm pretty sure I won't have the freedom to pick up and go places for a while since Ben will be in soccer season. I could do that with Betsy, but we were one on one. Not anymore!! Luckily, for a while, this baby won't yet be mobile and it'll give me the freedom to chase EJB!
I'd love feedback on other necessities for the second baby. I feel so blessed that we were given such wonderful gifts the first go-round, I think we're in pretty great shape to have a baby. I like to plan (make lists) because it makes me feel more organized.
6 comments:
Oh strollers, that's my speciality. First question is side by side or tandem, there are some side by sides that accept one carseat. You have a lot more options with tandems, we have the Graco Duo Glider and I love it, it does not come with the car seat but it does attach with no extra pieces that need to be bought. There is also the Chicco Cortina Together that accepts one car seat and one child. There is also the Contours Tandem stroller, the seats can face other or face the traditional way (we actually regret not buying this one, especcially now that they are older). There are others on Strollers.com, but these 3 are the ones I have the most knowledge of. If you have a BabyDepot, they seem to have more options for double strollers to play with than Babies R Us, at least by us its this way. I will say on the sit and stand, you can buy a seat for the stand part, but there is woman in my Mommy and me group that has one and she said it is really hard to stear.
You have plenty of time! Glen and Mary found a Peg P. double stroller (side by side) at a yard sale. I haven't used it yet, I think Tripp needs to be a little older. Our carseat did not have the 1 car seat one kid option until this month. But it is $209 so no thanks.... We have managed so far. I would definitely say no to the sit and stand. I put Macy in it and she was out in 2 seconds. That thing was not holding her in.
The day I had Tripp a report came out about the slings and how they are unsafe and babies are suffocating so I sold mine in a yard sale. A friend gave us a baby bjorn and I loooove it.
Did you swaddle Betsy? A miracle blanket is a must...
I was given Avent and Dr. Browns bottles. I don't like the Avent ones, but I still use them as I HATE washing bottles. Hopefully this baby will like the cheap bottles. Macy had to much gas with those.
If it is a boy, you will need a lot of diaper change covers. I swear he peed on me everytime for the first month. We washed at least one a day.
I think mittens are a must. And paci's. Baby socks.
That's all I can think of!
Stroller - I totally wished I had bought the stand up or sit double stroller! We never use our tandem double stroller anymore, because Michael doesn't want to sit - he thinks he's too big for a stroller, but I think he would stand.
Wraps - there's a ton of people who just wrap their baby up in a long, long, long piece of fabric, instead of buying a carrier or sling. My friend, Abby, used this method and LOVED it! There are tons of different ways to wrap your baby - check out youtube for videos! - and it works through toddlers! Here's one blog I came across with lots of info - http://wrapababy.com/
MOBY wrap is the total way to go. There are SO many options on how to use them and Megan has loved everyone of the holds and it has been my saving grace with two kiddos! They have videos on You Tube to show you how to wear it...and that comes in handy. Madisyn doesn't have a need for a stroller so I can't help there, but if you email me your address or facebook message me I have a TON of newborn and size one diapers I can send you that Megan outgrew but they couldn't be returned. They are all yours if you would like. Also we did something that was fun for the guys (and got me a TON of daipers and wipes) and had a Papas Poker Party where Will had all his guy friends come over for a fun poker night and the "buy in" was $5 and a package of diapers. We grilled out and then I left and they had a great time! You are an amazing hostess so I am sure you could throw an even better one!! I also have 2 packages of bottles that have never been used if you want them. Will got all happy and took everything out of the box and sterilized them and then Megan didn't like that bottle or something so they just sit in our cabinet. We have all Medela bottle because that is what she got used to when I started pumping but the kind I have at home are Evenflo I believe. Again all yours if you would like.
this is gonna be short and sweet because Declan is upset (whats new).
http://www.babytrend.com/sit_n_stand_double/SS76095.html
thats the double stroller we use. it can take a carseat in either side, and then it can convert to a sit n stand when little tike is old enough!!! I love it.
we use the sling now by munchkin, but hotslings are great too. there are 5 different ways to use it. it goes on in 5 seconda as compared to the wrap. but ive heard good things about it too.
with 2 boys i would consider the getting peed on expert. we just use the wash cloths to cover the little peepee to prevent getting wet. so if its a boy maybe some extra washcloths (the really small kind)! It's never too early to start getting ready!
http://www.babytrend.com/sit_n_stand_double/SS76095.html
ok it cut off the link on my last post. ill try it agin. if not, go to baby trend and look this up (or google it)
Sit N Stand Double - Sonic
Item #: SS76095
Post a Comment