I've noticed having the kiddo along makes me more careful about our safety. My Mom drilled in our brains to "be aware of what's around you". Don't linger in parking lots after dark. Make wise decisions about where to be. You know what I mean.
I think this has hit home more so since we've had a baby. For example, BB (before Betsy) I would never let Ben walk me to my car after his soccer games. I can take care of myself. But now that I have the baby with me I do like him to walk me to the car, and stand there with us until she's buckled in and the doors are locked.
Or driving the speed limit. I am much more conscientious about this now. And I pay attention to people who exit the ramp the same time I do. Some wacko driver kind of scared me the other day and I got back on the highway to make sure they weren't following me.
I hope I don't sound paranoid, I'm really not. I just understand better now why my parents were so concerned about where I was after dark and who I was with. A baby is vulnerable. She is at the mercy of her surroundings, so I see it as my job to protect her from getting hurt and to avoid dangerous situations as much as possible.
1 comment:
So True!
Post a Comment