Today Betsy was a little cranky at daycare, and was tugging at her ear. When my SIL Mary picked up William and heard this about Betsy she called me at work to let me know. Luckily our provider fitted us in for a doctor appointment at 5 and we learned Betsy has two ear infections. The doctor gave Bets an antibiotic shot and an oral prescription (and two stickers and a mickey mouse band aid).
I'm sure Betsy will feel better in a couple of days, but now I'm wondering if we should 'make the call' and get tubes in Betsy's ears. Friday we saw the ENT doctor who wrote the script for surgery we just have to call and schedule the appointment if we want to get it done. I'm a little torn on if we should do the surgery now or not. The tubes typically stay in for 9-12 months. During the summer kids usually have less ear infections so there is a chance Betsy won't have so many issues in the coming months. If we do have the surgery we have to be very careful to not get water in Betsy's ears (which will be an issue in the summer as Grandma and Grandpa have a pool).
Another concern of mine is that children who have ear issues sometimes are less verbal as they don't hear as well what others are saying. I don't want this to delay Betsy's verbal development.
This is something to think about. Get the tubes now? Get the tubes in September once summer and swimming are over? Decisions!
2 comments:
I know what you mean being concerned about it delaying her vocally- but when Tripp was born they did a hearing test on him and the woman told us to have a new hearing test done after every ear infection. Sounds a little much to me, but she said that ear infections can cause hearing loss!
How would you be able to keep water out of her ears? And what about baths and running in the sprinkler? I don't know what I would do, but lots of kids have them so it must be able to be done!
Old school, my older brother suffered hearing loss due to ear infections, nothing huge, but its there. He wasn't talking much and at 2 he got tubes, my mom said he wouldn't shut up, still true today, lol. Andy had tubes also when he was 1, he had them over the summer also and I think they were living in Beeville and spent alot of time in the pool. You might email Tish and see if she remembers what they did about his ears.
Post a Comment