Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I really can't imagine.

Today I listened to several of my co-workers talking about their husband's return home from Iraq. I work in a military town. Out of the ten people in my department six are married to a soldier, one gentlemen is prior military, one woman is married to a retired soldier and one is divorced (her ex husband was in the military). I am the only person who works in my department who is not married (or has been married) to a soldier or WAS a soldier. All but one co-worker has children.

I listen to them talk about picking up their spouses the day or evening they return from overseas. It must be so hard to integrate your spouse back in your life when you have seen them for maybe one or two weeks in the entire year. I hear them talk about the combination of emotions, being nervous to see their spouse, and of course they are excited, too. They talk about how at first, it's a little awkward to have them home.

I think about how hard Ben and I work at maintaining open communication. I can't imagine not being able to tell him, or show him everything. I nudge him awake when he's napping on the couch so he can see Betsy try to put my shoes on her feet. He makes me stop doing laundry so I can see Betsy learn how to sit on the potty alone. It must be so hard for the soldier to miss these things, and it makes my heart ache to think of the things the spouse must want to tell and show the soldier and isn't able to.

It has to be hard on their children too. Vanessa's son James asks every day 'Is Daddy coming home today?'. These women have to play the role of both mother and father while their husbands are away. One friend who no longer works here had her son while her husband was in Iraq but he was on the phone listening to the process. I imagine it has to be SO hard to NOT be a single parent, but have to live the life of a single parent. I would wonder how different life would be with my spouse in the daily workings. The soldier is in frequent danger, and the family is thinking, worrying and praying for their loved ones.

I think I've heard things like "Support our Troops!", "Those serving our country" and not had a comprehensive picture of what that means. In a way I think the whole military family is serving our country, for sacrificing a parent the months the soldier is away. There are things I wish were a little different about the town where I live but the bottom line is living with, working with, interacting with soldiers and their families on a daily basis has expanded my appreciation for their sacrifices.

God bless our soldiers and their families.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Shannon,

How beautifully said (brought tears to my eyes). I never thought about any of it that way.

- Katie