Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hospital Tour

Monday night our Childbirth class took a tour of the hospital where I'll be delivering. We saw where to enter if I go into labor in the middle of the night, the Labor and Delivery rooms, the recovery rooms, and where we spend the rest of our time at the hospital (in the private rooms). It seemed very quiet and tranquil, I'm sure that won't be my perception in the midst of labor however!

Another neat thing, as the mother and baby are moved from labor and delivery we stop at a button, which the mother pushes and a lullabye is played over the speakers in the entire hospital (and it's a pretty big hospital!). They told us triplets were born last Thursday and it rang three times in a row. Also, a mother from our class had twin girls at 29 weeks so she didn't make it through the second half of the classes. The nurses reported the mother and the babies were doing fine (which is a concern at 29 weeks).

We also talked about pain management. We have a flexible birth plan: get baby out, keep baby and mommy safe, and keep Shannon as comfortable as possible. I have nothing against pain medicine if the baby looks awake and well on the monitor.

I think Ben really enjoyed the tour, he noticed things about safety for the baby that I didn't and told me all about it when we left. The tour was great, but after a full day of work and an hour walking around the hospital I had some SERIOUSLY swollen ankles. Yikes.

No comments: