Thursday, November 19, 2009

Blankets for Ronald McDonald house kiddos

It's that time of year again!

One of the (many) reasons I start my Christmas shopping, decorating, and sewing so early is because the week before Christmas I plan to be sewing blankets! There's a Ronald McDonald house in Temple, Texas for the families of hospitalized children to stay while their kids are getting treatment. Many of the families at the Temple RMcD house are parents of premature babies staying at Scott and White hospital, in the very same maternity ward where I had sweet Betsy. I'm thrilled to embroider baby blankets for those children to be given to their parents while they stay and the RMcD house over the holidays. The next closest house is in Austin, Texas. This year my plan is to sew blankets for the children whose families are staying at both of these houses.

This tradition has been an ongoing project my Mom and Aunt Mary have done for the RMcD house in Atlanta, Georgia. It's a cause we hold close to our hearts, my cousin Ashley battled cancer for seven years, and her family had the opportunity to stay in one of these locations.

A dear friend I met online who donated blankets to the cause last year already sent me a box with several more this year! They are just perfect, bright colors, nice quality, exactly what I needed. She even included a roll of beautiful ribbon for wrapping the blankets. Thank you Beth, for being a part of something that means so much to me.

I keep an eye out for blankets to go on sale and I usually pick them up for about $3 or $4 each. If you'd like to donate a blanket or two please let me know! I would also love any monetary donation I could use to go pick up the blankets myself. I have confirmed that the Temple Ronald McDonald house will let me do this, and they have the capacity to hold 17 families. Right now I have about 10 blankets so I need more. I'm waiting on the Austin RMcD house to confirm that they can release the chidren's first names then I'll need about 25 more blankets. So in all, I'm looking for about 32 more blankets (though I can't know for certain, the houses may not be at full capacity).

Thanks for reading, I would love your participation in this effort, or even your prayers for the babies, children and families these blankets will go to.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Shannon, thank you for doing this! We have never stayed at a Ronald McDonald house, but we met several people while Jake was in NICU, who were staying at one. A big thanks to you, your mom and aunt!

Beth said...

♥ ♥ ♥

Risala Furniture said...

Stunning, Fantastic its looks so astounding. Much obliged to you for sharing this article and keep doing awesome linen curtains in abu dhabi