Thursday, November 5, 2009

Tragedy at Ft.Hood

Because I have fifteen minutes before I can head home, and I can't really think about anything else I want to blog about the tragic shootings that happened on Ft. Hood today. The shooting started at 1:30 and the post is still on lock down. Because of our close proximity to the base we were also put on lock down at about 2:30. They lifted these restrictions at 5:00. The ARMY has declared twelve to be dead and thirty-one wounded. There were likely three shooters, one was killed and two were apprehended.

The military has such a tremendous presence in this area, first we see soldiers in uniform every day. Everywhere we go. It scares me to think I may have come across one of these victims, or their families in my time at Central Texas College.

One of my coworkers was scheduled to receive her associates diploma today on post at a graduation ceremony. This ceremony was scheduled to take place an hour after the shooting began, at one of the location where the shooters were apprehended. Praise be to God that that ceremony didn't take place and all the students and their family members scheduled to attend the ceremony weren't allowed on post.

Every single coworker in my department (10 people) is married or dating a military member. Several of their spouses are deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq and I think it's terrible those men are now worried about the safety of their families here, who live in proximity to the largest military base in the free world.

This tragedy hits home so much for me. Many of the victims have been taken to Scott and White hospital, where I delivered Betsy (and visited several times afterwards). Some of my coworkers live on post, or their spouses can't leave post because it's still on lock down. I'm so blessed to have family here. My father-in-law headed to daycare to pick up Betsy. The church is pretty close to the base. Maybe a mile or two away.

A good friend at work was in tears, she just wanted to pick up her three year old son from daycare but we couldn't leave and the roads were blocked. Once our lock down was lifted she picked him up just to find she can't get back on campus where she lives.

It's just such a tragedy, and a moment I think I'll remember for the rest of my life. Being locked in our office, gathered around the computer watching the news while hearing the warning sirens going off on campus. Hearing (and seeing through our window) ambulances cut in front of our building taking the wounded to the hospital. Please pray for healing for those still in surgery. Please pray for the family members who have probably just learned they lost a father, brother, daughter, mother, or son. Please appreciate the sacrifices made by those in our military. I can't imagine what they are experiencing.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

(((Shan))) I am so glad that your father in law was able to get Bets. I'm sure it's a good feeling knowing that she is safe.

I'm saying tons of prayers for the victims and their families. This is such an awful thing to have happen.

Kristin said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

So glad that you are all okay! (((Shannon)))

Lara said...

We're waiting on word to find out if all our guys are safe :(

I hope all your people are safe!!

♥♥♥