Friday, August 20, 2010

Doctor appointment, 24 weeks

I'm 24 weeks pregnant, yea!! According the pregnancy.org in the coming week Ella will grow to approximately 13.6 inches long and weigh 1.5 pounds. In the coming few weeks she'll basically double her weight.

Yesterday's appointment was great. I am SO relieved since I saw my doctor this time. Dr. Greene's method is the perfect balance of listening to my concerns and noting them, considering them, but not panicking about them. And not making ME panic about them.

My blood pressure was low (126/80), my weight gain was low (1.5 pounds) and we went ahead and checked things internally and I'm not dilated at all. This was my biggest fear, that because I've been having a ton of contractions I was going to have early labor.

My doctor assured me some women are more susceptible to Braxton Hicks contractions, and some are just very aware that they are happening. I'm one of these women! It's OK, as long as they aren't 5-10 minutes apart and for two hours or more. If this happens I need to come to the hospital and make sure everything is ok.

As for the pre-eclampsia, the doctor says I look like a perfectly healthy pregnant woman. There are several markers for pre-eclampsia, swelling and 'spilling protein' being two of them. I have these markers. I tend to 'puff' as the doctor says and the solution is to take it easy. Also, having been through PE once already I know the difference between normal and abnormal swelling. If it won't go away, it's a bad sign. I pay attention to my swelling first thing in the morning, a couple times a day at work, and at night before I go to bed. Blood pressure is still the biggest indicator for PE and while I've had a couple BP's higher than usual overall my BP is in the nice and healthy range.

Dr. Greene told me she's pretty sure I'll get sick again, but not until the end of my pregnancy. I feel like it's much less dangerous this time because I know what feels normal and what doesn't. That's so confusing the first time you have a baby! I'm also relieved that bed rest doesn't seem to be on the horizon anytime soon. I promised Dr. Greene that I intend to take it easy the rest of this pregnancy, so while I'm euphoric at the thought that I'm healthy, I'm going to try to limit my weekend activities to give myself plenty of rest.

Thank you for everyone's thoughts and prayers, I really appreciate them.

4 comments:

Christi said...

glad to hear it! Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I bet it's hard to 'take it easy' with a little Betsy running around! Glad you have a sweet husband to support you/take care of you! Have a great weekend

Laura said...

What an answer to prayer! I love your positive, proactive attitude! I'll keep praying!

kballard said...

I love the name Ella! I'm glad you are healthy, and I know how you are, so please take care of yourself! It must be hard having a 20 month-old (I guess Betsy is around that).

Miranda said...

Glad to hear your Dr. put your mind at ease.

I got BH early and often with Lily and early and often with this one too.

You're doing great though Shan!