Friday, January 8, 2010

The great Kindle debate.

I'm in the throws of a huge mental dilemma. To Kindle, or not to Kindle.

I am not a big gadget person. I'm happy to use the same cell phone until it breaks. I don't care to upgrade. I'm not an iPod user. I think they're great for people who love to listen to music, but I prefer to listen to books. I LOVE to read. I'm considering buying an Amazon Kindle. It's about $250 so I want to think long and hard before I rush out and buy one (or click on Amazon and eagerly anticipate it's arrival).

For me the pros would be: less clutter in my house (my book shelf is way too full, this would help the issue), small and easy to carry around with me, easier on my eyes (you can adjust the font size) and being able to listen or read to some books ( I listen to Audio books a lot too). Also you can download different books for free each week.

The cons would be: the cost upfront, would I miss being able to hold the book while I read it? what if I break or lose it? I' would still have the books backed up through the Amazon website so I could re-download them.

I guess I'll ruminate on this possibility further. If you have a Kindle, what is your experience with it? Has it been worth the money? Thanks for any feedback!

2 comments:

JHP said...

I have a friend with a Kindle, and my MIL has the Sony version. Both of them love their e-readers. Being a tactile person myself, I can't decide if I would really miss the feel of an actual book either.

Beanie said...

I kind of happened upon your blog, but saw that you were debating the Kindle.

I inhereted a Sony e-reader a few months ago and I love it! Rather, I loved it.

I was on a plane from LAX to Chicago and the guy in front of me had a kindle and I had e-reader envy. It looked fantastic!


As for being worried about missing the book, you do a bit - but get over it quickly. There are two things I wish my e-reader had 1) a backlight so I could read in bed without the light on and 2) a touch screen so I didn't have to press a small metal button to turn the page.

My advice: get a kindle and get the good one. Splurge. You won't miss the physical aspect of a book and I bet you find yourself reading more!

Good luck!