When Betsy was four months old a little red spot showed up on her nose and grew for a few months. It's now a little smaller than a dime and it has stayed the same size since she was six months. As soon as we talked with Dr. Coles and he told us what the red spot is (a hemangioma), that it will likely go away on it's own, and that it's not dangerous and doesn't hurt Betsy we weren't concerned about it. We did see a plastic surgeon per his recommendation so we can monitor it and take some sort of action if it continues to grow.
It's funny how people respond to her little red spot. I get two questions...did she hurt herself? and is that a hemangioma? I've had many people in the past few months stop me (at daycare, shopping, at restaurants) and tell me about their children having a hemangioma as a baby and it going away on it's own. I think it's sweet that they share their story. It's like they want to reassure me my baby will be imperfection free eventually.
I think Betsy is perfect just the way she is. I don't want her to suffer because of this but I'm optimistic it will resolve itself before she starts school and won't be an issue in her social development. It's superficial. I couldn't care less what other people think about it, it's just who my sweet girl is and God made her that way for a reason.
I wonder if you told me a year ago my child would have a red spot in the middle of her face during most of her first year of life, what would I have thought? Would it have bothered me? I think parenthood makes you understand it's not about YOU, it's about someone else. I'm not pushing my insecurities and issues on Betsy. I want her to grow up to have a healthy self image, be confident, and know that true beauty comes from within.
I know there have been times I have not been a good person. Having Betsy and thinking about the kind of person I want her to become makes me reflect on some of those moments in my life, and think about where I've come in the past year and where I need to go. I am very far from perfect. I make big mistakes. Huge mistakes. But having Betsy has helped me head in the right direction. I think parents are the most influential person in a child's life but I suspect the child has a similar impact on the parent.
No comments:
Post a Comment