Well Monday she woke up sounding terrible. I now have greater sympathy for what my parents went through having an asthmatic kid (me), because it's just terrible to hear your baby rasping for air. I decided to stay home yesterday and I scheduled a 9 am appointment. Betsy was diagnosed with bronchiolitis, and given a breathing treatment from a nebulizer. At this point I have to say, this is exactly the stuff I went through as a kid. The smell of the Albuterol they used in the nebulizer gave me flashbacks from all the breathing treatments I got as a kid.
Betsy B. strongly disliked the breathing treatment. I mean, I had to hold this mask over her face with her screaming (my only solace knowing that between screams she was inhaling deep lungfulls of the medication). Immediately after the treatment she sounded much better. She went slack in my arms (even though albuterol is a stimulant, I think she was so tired from having difficulty breathing and screaming her head off during the treatment she just passed out).
See: strong dislike for breathing treatment.

The doctor was shocked by how well she responded and it led her to suspect Betsy might be asthmatic. For now, we're going to assume this was just bronchiolitis and if it sticks around longer than this week well go back and see Doctor Coles to determine if Betsy does in fact have asthma.
EB was prescribed oral Abulterol and Prednizone. Once again I was given the oral Albuterol as a kid and nothing much has changed. It smells the exact same when I give it to Betsy. FYI both of these medications are stimulants and Betsy is bouncing off the walls. I feel for Betsy's grandpa who is keeping the kiddo today. I hope she crashes at some point and he gets a break!
So, that's all. Betsy sounded much, much better this morning but please keep our sweet girl in your thoughts and prayers.
*Quick confession* I dropped Betsy's perscription off after the doctor's appoitment and was told to come back two hours later to pick it up. Of course, when we come back to Wal-mart for her perscriptions we needed some baby yogurt and Cheerios (Betsy's favorite), and why not stop on to baby doll aisle and let her pick a toy to cheer her little self up? Two new baby's later, she was a very cheery baby herself. I am such a push-over.
3 comments:
Awww! I hope Betsy feels better!
Aww, Poor baby!! I hope she's feeling better now ♥
I love that you gave her a doll to cheer her up! My love language is gifts, so that made me feel better for her, too!
Post a Comment