Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Do all Moms feel this way?

This morning when I sat Betsy down on the daycare play mat, put away her bottles for the day, stashed her diaper bag, and walked out the door I turned around and waved to say good bye. Her teacher said "Say bye, bye Betsy!" and she looked at me, waved, and said "Buh! Buh! Buh!".

I kind of feel like she's 9 months, going on 10 years old.

I know she's still a baby. She drinks bottles, she's a pacifier addict, she likes to sit in my lap and unwind before she falls asleep. But she is SO independent most of the time. If she's tired she puts herself to sleep. If I put her in the playroom she entertains herself for hours. She holds her own bottle. She picks up and snacks on her Cheerios. She even points the remote control at the TV.

Where did my BABY go?

It's immensely satisfying to see her be so independent, and very sad at the same time. I console myself by remembering that each stage she's gone through I think "Oh, I love her like this! I don't want her to grow up!" but then the next stage is even more amazing and fun. I wonder if I'll describe the teenage years as 'amazing' and 'fun'.