Monday, October 12, 2009

I'm no decorating diva.

As much as I love looking at magazines and model homes with beautiful decor I'm discovering making my home look similar isn't as easy as it seems. Home decorating just isn't my thing. In the 18 months that we've lived in our home we've settled in nicely but there are projects (that take time and money) we haven't yet accomplished.

Enter the big couple's shower we're hosting this weekend. We entertain often. People come to our house a lot. I don't think twice about the state of my 'home decor'. However most of the people attending this party I don't know. Therefor I want to put my best foot forward. Oh gosh, why hadn't I picked curtains, cabinet decor, wall art, decorative towels, etc. before now. OH! That's right...I remember...because we don't have a money tree in our backyard. So I'm in a mad dash to run around town and do as many as these things as possible. *disclaimer* My husband is a saint. I know this chaos is driving him mad but he doesn't let his irritation show an ounce.

Well I'm asserting myself and making more of these things happen. The painting is done. The carpet is being cleaned tomorrow (something we've discussed doing since we moved in), I have started decorating in the kitchen...but I'm pretty clueless. I aimlessly wander up and down the aisles of stores looking for the perfect pieces to add color to my kitchen. I want my Mom and Aunt Mary here to help me. It's too bad I can't webcam with them over cell phone.

Poor Ben has started calling me 'Spendy McSpenderson'. I point out that while I've been buying things I return at least half of it. I'm pretty picky, if I don't love it, I don't keep it! Plus the deals are so good at Ross, he thinks I spend much more than I really do :)

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I think your house looks great. I can't decorate either. Greg hates my taste (ha) One way to decorate towels is to get some curtain tie backs from Target and use tape or a kitchen twist tie to hold them together. Cheap and fancy! :) ha