Monday, October 26, 2009

My current parenthood paranioa.

Up to this point I've kept parenthood paranoia to a minimum. I don't think I've overreacted about any of her health stuff. We've had things checked out (like her red spot, the bump on her chest, and her recent ear infections). However I'm a little concerned that my sweet girl isn't gaining much weight. Our pediatrician hasn't been worried about her size at all. He attributes her petite stature to all the moving she does. She started walking and crawling early and he assures me it's normal for babies to slim down once they become mobile. However, Betsy weighed 17 lb 15 oz (naked) at her 9 month appointment, 18 lbs 8 ounces at 10.5 months (with clothes), and 18 lbs 6 ounces yesterday (with clothes). She's barely gained any weight in the last two months.

I'm trying to help her fill out a bit. She eats a couple times per day but if she eats any more than say, a large Yo baby yogurt meal and a container of baby food in a day she doesn't want to drink her formula. She doesn't act fussy, but she also doesn't realize she's hungry until I pull food out of the pantry and a baby spoon (then she can't hardly sit still long enough for me to put a bib on her).

The idea that she'll be eating table food and not formula in about a month has me worried...will she get enough sustenance?

Have any of you guys worried about this?

5 comments:

The McGlones said...

Elliott has gained maybe 5 lbs this entire year! It's so true that once they get about this age they really slow down. Our neighbors daughter weighed 20lbs at her first birthday and now only weighs about 24lbs and she is very petite.

In order for Elliott to keep his weight higher we kept him on the stage 2 formula (for 12-24 months) and are honestly just now starting to give him cows milk. I think the amount Betsy has gained is totally normal! Looking at Elliott's calendar he weighed 19.5lbs in August and in October weighed 20.6. So he only gained 1 pound in 2 months! Hope this helps =0)

Lisa said...

you can fortify her milk for more calories. The nicu nurses recommeded it for babies that need to gain weight. I haven't researched it so you might google it and see what it says.

Emily said...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My niece and nephew have always been very slim. My niece turned 2 in August and weighs about 22 lbs, and my almost five year old nephew weighs 40 lbs soaking wet. Some kids are just skinny!

JHP said...

It sounds like she is coming along just fine! It seemed odd to me when Harper's weight gain started slowing down even though I knew to expect it towards the end of the first year. She barely made it to 20lbs at her 12 month appointment, and I was happy enough with that to turn her car seat around...even though now they recommend waiting until 2 years for that? It's always something! ;)

TexasCoy said...

Thanks guys, that makes me feel much better. I'm sure she would let us know if she NEEDED more food and our Dr would give us a heads up if we needed to plump her up.